Another season passed, and I have little to add regarding the salvation nymph. It remains a mainstay in my fly box and is generally one of the first nymphs that I deploy after a beadhead hares ear. I often use the dynamic duo in tandem, and this combination produces outstanding results. When I compare the two, I assign an edge to the hares ear, as I believe that it produces trout over the entire fly fishing season in Colorado. The salvation nymph also attracts fish in the spring and fall, but it truly distinguishes itself in the June through August time frame. This period coincides with pale morning dun emergence on western freestones and tailwaters, and I believe the salvation nymph is a close approximation of the PMD nymph.
[peg-image src=”https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-J90Aez-SxRM/WgJWiSxB6cI/AAAAAAABRBk/fsFLfRr28Ekkgfg3YyKkIcOJGCzStsjbwCCoYBhgL/s144-o/PB060001.JPG” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/108128655430094950653/6485840536749574417#6485841560519961026″ caption=”Shiny Nymph” type=”image” alt=”PB060001.JPG” image_size=”2048×1536″ ]
If you attempt to look up this fly on line, search using tungsten salvation nymph. I tie mine with a standard gold brass bead, but the heavier tungsten is an option if you seek a faster sink rate. You can find a materials table and step by step tying instructions in my 12/30/2011 post. 2011 was my first attempt to tie this fly, and I have made no significant modifications other than to substitute black peacock ice dub for peacock ice dub for the thorax. It would be interesting to experiment with some different color combinations, but this fly is so effective, that I never felt the inclination to dabble with variations. The 2011 post also describes how I was introduced to the salvation nymph, and the comments section includes some remarks from the originator of the fly, Devon Ence.
[peg-image src=”https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uxAJb85xkjw/WgJWj6z29HI/AAAAAAABRBk/kosKB5H3voA4mIy54slS90aWj8kocBrUQCCoYBhgL/s144-o/PB070005.JPG” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/108128655430094950653/6485840536749574417#6485841588449113202″ caption=”Eleven Fresh Salvations” type=”image” alt=”PB070005.JPG” image_size=”2048×1536″ ]
I counted my supply in November and ascertained that my combined storage boxes contained 94. I target a starting quantity of 100 for each season, so I produced six new flies to reach my quota. For some reason I did not lose as many flies to trees, rocks and logs during 2017 as was generally the case in previous seasons.